Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get rid of a large item in the trash?
A: There are two options for large item removal. A dump pass for Waste Management can be obtained from the City or Police building with an ID showing you are a Northwood resident. Another option is to contact Waste Management at 419-666-5136 to schedule a removal.

2. How do I dispose of yard waste?
A: To assist in the removal of yard waste the city has an annual brush pick up for residents. The Fall brush pick up date is scheduled for October 24th beginning at 7am. For disposal outside of the city's scheduled pick up there are a few places where yard waste can be dropped off. Down 2 Earth located in Oregon 419-279-3275, Toledo Top Soil & Mulch 419-729-7280 and Clean Wood Recycle (fee associated) in Toledo 419-843-9663.

3. Where do I report light problems and outages including street lights?
A: To report an outage in your neighborhood you can contact Toledo Edison by phone at 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or fill out the outage form by clicking the link → Toledo Edison

4. Where do I find my voter registration, voting precinct and polling location?
A:Click the link → Voting Information

5. Who do I contact to report water issues?
A: Call Northwest Water and Sewer regarding problems with water at 419-354-9090, option 2.

6. Who do I contact to request a residence check while I am on vacation or leave my house for an extended period of time?
A: To request a residence check you can pick up a Vacation Check form from the Northwood Police Department, or call 419-691-5053 to be added to the list. Forms and calls can be taken 24/7.